Big Otter Mill, Bedford, VA

Posted in Bedford, panorama, VA on November 13th, 2012 by Mo

Here’s a pano of the Big Otter Mill, an old saw and grist mill, shot in late March of 2012.

This mill was first built and operated by Joseph Hardy, Sr., a veteran of the Revolutionary War who settled here in the late 1700s. In 1785 the county granted him permission to erect a mill at this site which became operational in the 18th century.

A fire destroyed this mill building around 1916, in 1917 a flood washed away the mill which was replaced 1920.

The mill produced its brand names of Golden Eagle Flour and Pioneer Corn Meal but ceased commercial operation about 1950.

Big Otter Mill is situated on the bank of the Big Otter River, a few miles north of the City of Bedford, VA on Route 122 North. A “Big Otter Mill Foundation” is active and it’s mission is to restore the mill for the purpose of historical preservation as a working mill. Tours of the mill are available at special events and by appointment.  Please call 1-540-537-4363 for more information.

Enjoy.

TO “START” the PANO, CLICK IN THE RECTANGLE. AFTER PIC  HAS LOADED, HOLD DOWN LEFT MOUSE BUTTON & “DRAG” the CURSOR AROUND (before or after the “auto pan” kicks in).